Whilst often providing critical management information the shortcomings of Excel or Access as ‘user applications’ quickly becomes evident…
- there is little control over what a user can change and no audit trail, right or wrong – you just don’t know,
- producing reports is labour intensive and error prone, data has to be manipulated, the results checked and rechecked,
- the author finds they are spending a lot of time maintaining the system; regulators are critical and audits expensive,
- it is difficult to provide access for multiple users and controlling updates can be labour intensive.
So what are the alternatives:-
providing controls around the spread sheet; this seems to tackle the symptoms and not the cause,
implementing a software package; this can be expensive in both time and cost and may involve compromises to the functionality required,
commissioning a bespoke system; no matter which development approach is taken here the task becomes technical and costly.
There is a new solution that ticks all the boxes, WhiteSky Studio. It provides:-
- a non-technical RAD tool that can be used by spread sheet users to configure an application,
- all of the functionality present in a spread sheet,
- all of the controls required in order to rely on the data reported,
- a simple and comprehensive query writing capability which exports to a spread sheet for report formatting, and,
- comprehensive audit trails, work flow and document management.
If you would like to replace a spread sheet system quickly with a secure low cost Cloud based application that can be immediately deployed worldwide without requiring any IT infrastructure, contact WhiteSky Software at email@example.com.